Data holds the keys to social change. When data is inaccessible, information is hidden, insights are obscured, and effort is wasted. Socrata Publica™ helps governments utilize their data to engage the citizens they serve and achieve lasting social and economic change in their communities.
Who Uses Socrata Publica
Socrata Publica™ makes it easy to publish data to the web and have it be discoverable by all interested parties. Socrata provides multiple tools to ensure that your data is surfaced as often as possible to the right audiences at the right time.
- Publish datasets on any topic that can be up to hundreds of millions of rows long, including: geospatial data, financial data, public safety data, and much more
- Use a global search interface to find the data you are looking for and take advantage of built-in SEO optimization to enable data to be found via standard web browser searches
- Get insight into your most popular datasets with a summary page that provides the most important statistics about your uploaded content
Visualization and Context
Charts and graphs allow you to transform data from letters and numbers into understandable images that convey information quickly. With visualizations, anyone can more easily understand trends, gaps, and how to respond appropriately.
- Visualize your data with Socrata Visualizations to better see and understand the data through charts, graphs, maps, table views, and more
- Create an analytical dashboard with a Socrata Data Lens page to get immediate insight from the data, without having to create charts manually
- Include a narrative with a Socrata Perspectives page to provide background context for the data, as well as explain conclusions and next steps
Sharing and Usability
Maximizing the value of data means making it available to as many people as possible. Socrata provides several tools to empower data users to easily access and utilize the data in creative ways.
- Share any data asset on Socrata Publica with others directly through the built-in data catalog or on social media
- Embed content within existing websites or build a customized, attractive open data homepage of your own
- Syndicate datasets from other nearby localities to increase the context and meaning of the data
- Give technical developers, innovators, and entrepreneurs easy access to the data through the Socrata Open Data API (SODA)
“An open and transparent administration makes it easier for residents to hold their government accountable, but it also serves as a platform for innovative tools that improve the lives of all residents.”
“Data should be for everyone. It shouldn’t just be for someone who submits a public records request.”
“What Open Data has done for us is really allow a centralized repository where internally we can take steps toward solving solutions across departments by looking at each other’s data.”
It’s easy to get caught up in data management, but it takes more than datasets and labels to successfully create a strategic plan for opening your data. Learn why the City of Topeka prioritized open data and transparency, how they gained support from city council, and their results.
Request a Meeting
Interested in establishing an open data portal for your community? Fill out the form and a qualified Socrata representative will set up a no obligation meeting to assess your needs.