Financial transparency is a key component in a government’s efforts to establish and maintain trust with their constituency. Socrata Public Finance™ enables any person to understand how their government is collecting and spending tax revenues, whether that person is a local citizen, a government leader, or a finance professional.
Who Uses Socrata Public Finance
Data Driven Decision-making
Every day, policymakers for all levels of government make critical decisions about the allocation of public funds and government resources. Without access to key data about the operations of their agencies, these decisions are made with incomplete information.
- Access the data anytime, from any internet-enabled mobile device and get answers to the most common questions quickly by viewing easy-to-understand reports
- Give policymakers and managers the context they need to make informed and effective decisions about the allocation of limited resources
- Analyze spending to identify overlaps or inefficiencies across departments or projects. Compare your spending with other governments to identify opportunities for cost savings and increased efficiency
- Promote collaboration, data sharing, and cross training to take full advantage of the collective expertise and experience of government staff and managers
Governments of all sizes spend significant staff time and resources producing mandated financial reports, internal reports and updates, and custom reports for FOIA requests and policy analysis. Socrata Public Finance can positively reduce the amount of time, effort, and money spent to support these routine tasks.
- Replace custom, labor-intensive internal reports with beautiful, interactive and intuitive online reports and visualizations
- Eliminate the need to burden IT staff to run custom queries, or the effort of re-entering data that’s trapped in a PDF report
- Give the public direct access to Socrata Public Finance to reduce the number of FOIA requests and the cost of delivering them
- Demonstrate your commitment to residents and media by sharing information in the way that the public wants to see it – easily, intuitively and interactively
Enhanced Internal Controls
One of the most important obligations of any government is to prevent waste and ensure that tax dollars are spent as efficiently and effectively as possible. Socrata Public Finance supports better internal controls by providing more clarity and insight to a traditionally obscure area.
- Bring data from siloed financial systems into a central repository that can be easily accessed and understood
- Allow for more in-depth analysis, identifying trends and spending patterns that were previously hidden
- Proactively identify trends and look for potential areas of waste, fraud, or abuse throughout your organization
- View vendor payments, overtime patterns, and collections that indicate inefficient processes or inefficient use of resources
“Within a year of launch, the city’s financial transparency portal had more than 2 million page views. The number of data reports the Controller’s office produced for FOIA requests declined by more than 33% (65 from 104) from 2013 to 2014. For the first time, the City was able to unify its 8 disparate procurement and financial systems into single datasets.”
“Thanks to Socrata’s technology, we have a taxpayer-friendly interface to access the most current data on the county budget and expenditures.”
“When I took office in 2014, one of my primary goals was to change the way that government feels. The best way to do that is to make information more accessible for the average citizen and to use technology to bridge the gap between city hall and the people we serve. Publishing our financial data on the Socrata platform helps us accomplish exactly that.”
“Commissioners and other people say, you know I learned something about my own data because I saw it in a different way. That’s an important bit of learning and…it helps them to plan better.”
When you spend time with city government staff in Davenport, Iowa, you’re apt to hear the words “public trust” now and again. The City’s administration has sought to earn citizens’ trust via a policy of robust information transparency.
The City of Boston had been publishing their budget in multi-volume PDFs for years. While there’s a wealth of information contained in these volumes, it can be difficult for the public to understand where the City is allocating resources and for what purposes.
See how organizations can engage citizens in the budget process, improve governance and internal controls, and streamline public records processes for citizens and the media.
See how opening the books impacts residents and employees.
Request a Meeting
Want to learn more about Socrata Public Finance? We’d love to show you what we can do. Fill out the form and a qualified Socrata representative will set up a no obligation meeting to assess your needs.