Open Data Day 2014
By Alida Moore
Open Data Day 2014 is upon us! The team at Socrata will be spreading out across the globe to attend events and participate in various hackathons.
Curious about Open Data Day and what it means to the open data community? “Open Data Day is a gathering of citizens in cities around the world to write applications, liberate data, create visualizations and publish analyses using open public data to show support for and encourage the adoption open data policies by the world’s local, regional and national governments,” says the ODD website.
We at Socrata are committed to adding value to data, so it is our pleasure to support great events like this one.
Want to connect with Socrata during Open Data Day? Check out the following list to find out where Socrata team members can be found.
- Open Data Day DC: This event will be hosted by The World Bank. Projects and datasets will relate to education, transit, health and environment, international development, and government transparency. Marcus Louie (@mlouie), Clare Zimmerman (@ClareZimmerman), Louis Fettet (@LouisFettet), and Jessica Carsten (@JessicaCarsten) will be representing for Socrata.
- Open Data Day Toronto: Hackathon projects will include housing, budgeting, cycling advocacy, civic engagement, education, and accessibility. Socrata team members Colin Spikes and Jesse Romine will be there.
- Jesse Romine will also be attending Capitol Code: An Open Data Jam in Minnesota.
- Open Data BC: Drew Rifkin and Stuart Gano are attending.
- OKFN Open Data Day: Ben Unsworth (@benunsworth) will be in London for Open Knowledge Foundation England’s event. Topics include flood data, environment, tax spending, and basic data availability.
- CodeAcrossNYC: Chris Whong (@chris_whong) will be at this event so be sure to connect with him. Topics include NYC 311, crime and public safety data, transportation, and school data.
- Triangle Open Data Day: Reid Serozi (@reidserozi) will be attending and speaking at TODD 2014.
- Hoggetowne Hack: Steve Ellsworth will be heading to Gainesville to participate in the Hoggetowne Hack.
- CodeAcrossSeattle: Chris Metcalf (@chrismetcalf) and Jovana Teodorovic will be at CodeAcross Seattle. Challenges will include the Open Data Inventory Challenge, the Open Data Policy Challenge, and the Open Civic Data Scraper Challenge.